Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wikis

I haven't really thought about creating a wiki of my own - it seems like a lot of work although the ones I checked out today were really cool and inspiring. I really liked wikiHow. It had how to steps for all sorts of things. I learned how to make a book using old cassette tape inserts. I can see kids really getting into using wikiHow to discover how to do new things AND sharing what they know about with others.

I discovered BookLeadsWiki--Reading Resources at the collection of educational wikis and it is really cool! I loved the great ideas and resources that were compiled for librarians. It even includes videos, documents and step-by-step guides on things like creating book promotion screen savers for your library computers - something I am definitely going to do!

I would love to explore wikis and how they could be used in my library, but even with input from others, it seems like a big time consumer. Recently, my assistant had her hours reduced in the library which is going to impact everything from the daily running of the library to cataloging books. It will be difficult to squeeze in time to create and maintain a wiki.

No comments: