Thursday, August 20, 2009

Feet first

Flickr is super cool! I uploaded a bunch of pictures that my daughter took over the years of her feet. We used to give her the camera as a little girl and she would immediately point the camera at the floor and take pictures of her feet. She jumps into everything feet first without fear and that is what I try to keep in mind when trying new things myself.

I thought of a couple of ways that I can use Flickr in the library classroom AND be cognizant of copyright restrictions and avoid inappropriate pictures. One idea I had was to create a folder on the shared drive in my school that contained pictures from The Commons or Creative Commons on a particular topic, for example: pumpkins. Students could then work in groups or alone using the pictures in the folder that are about pumpkins to create a timeline of the life cycle of the pumpkin from seed to jack o' lantern.

Another idea I had was for students to take pictures of their own based on a topic, trees for example. We could upload the pictures to Flickr and then the students could add notes that identify the parts of the tree they have been studying in class: roots, branches, leaves, bark, etc.

I am sure the more I play around with Flickr, the more ideas I will come up with that I can use with my students! I just have to jump in feet first!


No comments: