Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Google Docs

I am so excited to use Google Documents! I can think of lots of ways that this would be helpful in my professional life!

First of all, for some unknown reason, I don't have Word on my computer at home. This is a way that I can create documents without having additional software installed on my computer.

I also love the idea that the documents are web based and therefore accessible at home, at work, on vacation, etc. One of the things that the group of librarians I work with were proposing for this school year was to share library lessons, units, and ideas. This would be a great way to share those documents with each other and keep them in a central place where we can all view them, edit them, and print them out! I am super excited to share this with my colleagues when we return to school!

I do think that it would be hard to use this with students because you need to have an email account to sign in. Because I work at the elementary level, I know that a lot of my students will not have email accounts. I think this might work better as a means for students to share and collaborate in middle school and high school. Are there any elementary teachers out there that have used Google Documents with their students? If so, what steps did you take to address the email account issue?

I have posted the link to the document I created today. This is based on lesson I do with Third Graders every fall to get them reacquainted with the library.
Library Scavenger Hunt

1 comment:

RESA 23Things said...

The link to your Scavenger Hunt document is not working. Could you please check it out so we all can see? Thanks.