Thursday, August 27, 2009

Podcasts Part II

I played around with EPN and Podcast Alley, but I wasn't really successful. There were some podcasts that seemed interesting to me - ones I would use with students, perhaps - but many of them were out of date. Several hadn't been updated with new podcasts in a couple of years. There are some podcasts on these sites that I would download, but not subscribe to because they are no longer active. When you are talking about podcasts that are supposed to be reviewing new books, it has to be something that is updated frequently. I had much more success at iTunes.

I subscribed to a video podcast that has book trailers for popular children's books. While many of the books were geared toward middle school and up, there were several titles reviewed that would be appropriate to my upper elementary age students. I subscribed to the podcast, "Booktrailers, like commercials...for books!" and then downloaded past episodes that were relevant like the one for Neil Gaiman's "The graveyard book."

I think these video podcasts could be something that I would share with students in the library via our presentation cart. I can download the trailers I am going to use to my thumb drive then use the computer hooked to our data projector to share them on the big screen in the library. I know kids will be super excited to check out the titles I share in this way!

No comments: