Sunday, August 23, 2009

Spins webs, any size

I had this idea when I first started using "Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian" to create a header with my face on Spiderman's body, but I wasn't sure how to do it. Thank goodness for 23 Things! Although this picture is definitely strange - I look sort of like I am bursting out of the top of Spiderman's body apparently neckless. And I am smiling! I am sure in this situation Spiderman would have a very serious look on his face!

It is amazing all the different things that you can do to manipulate your photos! Before taking this class the most I had done with my digital pictures was to upload them to Shutterfly and put them in a book or calendar. I really liked Big Huge Labs, but I ended up using a link on Image Generator to create the body switch picture above. It was fairly easy to use - I picked a photo and then because I don't have PhotoShop on my laptop I used Paint to crop my face out of the photo. Then I uploaded the picture and using the very simple click and drag was able to add my picture to Spiderman's body.

I spent a lot of time trying things with my pictures. I did try to create a header using Spell with Flickr, but like others in the class, I didn't know what to do with it afterward to put it on my blog. I tried several different things, including copying the code, but I couldn't make it work.

I think I would use some of the tools at BigHugeLabs with students as I found it pretty easy to use. I am especially interested in using the Trading Card feature with students, my third graders in particular, as they do biographies every year. I can see them doing biographies of each other and creating trading cards to share with the rest of the class. I tried it using a photo of my daughter and it was super easy!

This Thing has been a great motivator - I had been somewhat melancholy about the end of summer, but now, with all sorts of fun things to do in the lab with my students, I am looking forward to getting back to work!

No comments: