Monday, August 24, 2009

Wacky Widgets

Review the widget you selected.
I picked two widgets to add to my page from Widgetbox. I thought I would choose things that were book or word related. I selected Random Multilanguage Word of the Day widget first. A random word pops up and then it is translated into all sorts of languages. The thing I liked best about the widget was that each translation also has a speaker icon next to it. You can click the speaker and hear what the word sounds like in the language.

The next widget I picked is called Booklover Quotes. Scrolling quotes about books by famous people and authors pop up in the widget window when you visit the page. The quotes are a fun reminder about the coolness of books. Another element that I liked about these widgets is the ability to scroll ahead to the next word or quote.

Finally, I decided to try my hand at creating a widget of my own. I searched Widgetbox looking for a widget that would allow me to show the books I have on my Livingsocial Visual Bookshelf on Facebook. I came across a widget that another user had created and looked at the source code. After a few attempts, I was able to create my own widget using the URL for the feed of my bookshelf. I was super excited about being able to do this!

I do belong to Facebook and I absolutely love it. I don't have any relationships there that I didn't have face-to-face first. I think being friends on Facebook adds another layer to an already existing friendship. I don't use it to meet new people like I think many young people do. Personally, I am very careful about who I allow to view my page on Facebook. I don't accept random friend requests and I only allow friends to see my pictures and things like that. I guess that sort of goes against the whole idea of social networking sites. I am not trying to make new friends on Facebook, just keep up with my old ones.

No comments: