Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thing 1 and Thing 2 - Not a reference to "The cat in the hat"

Why are you participating in 23 Things?
A couple of reasons: 1) I heard through the grapevine from past participants that is was a very informative class and 2) I really, really miss taking classes! It has been a couple of years since I finished my MLIS and this seemed like a great way to get back into learning!

What do you hope to learn?
I am hoping to learn some new and exciting things that I do with my students in the library. I am hoping that the things I learn about will be adaptable so that I can incorporate them easily given technological constraints, time constraints, etc.

What new insights did you have during Thing 1? How does writing on the Internet, knowing anyone could read it, change how you write or feel about writing?

My mother always told me, "Never put in print anything you would not want others to read." So there went the whole idea of keeping a diary! I always thought this was a very helpful piece of advice - I only wish she had given in to me BEFORE I wrote that note that nearly cost my a childhood friendship. I keep that experience and my mom's words in my mind whenever I write an email or a status update on Facebook or an entry on my blog. I guess in some sense I edit myself and my thoughts and feelings knowing that other people - people I may or may not know - are going to be reading it.

Another piece of advice that my mom gave me about writing was, "Take responsibility for what you put in print." When I first started blogging, I did it anonymously. Not because I planned on writing anything worth being embarrassed about, but because I was afraid some weirdo was going to read my blog and become obsessed or something. In spite of my efforts to keep my blogging identity a secret, it didn't take long before people figured out it was me writing. In retrospect, it seems silly. If you care enough to put your ideas, thoughts and feelings into print, no matter the format, I think it is important to claim them as yours.

1 comment:

RESA 23Things said...

What great advice you received from your mother! While blogs may not have been around when she gave it, it certainly applies to today's writing on the web, and will most likely apply to future writings. Thanks for sharing it.